Children and Family Support Program
After School Groups
All referrals for the Children and Family Support Program (CFSP) are through the Ministry of Children and Family Development (MCFD). Families submit registration forms for their children directly to the CFSP, care of the Clements Centre. New families are contacted to set up a “get to know you” meeting, either at their home or at the program. Participants are then assigned days based on their age category, suitability of daily activity, specific needs and number of available spaces.
- Mondays – Shawnigan Group: we have a partnership with Shawnigan Lake School. Our group links up with their service club, the focus being on age appropriate activities and peer mentoring.
- Tuesdays – Buddy Up: every second Tuesday our junior and teen groups come together to do buddy up activities. The other Tuesdays feature activities that encourage cooperation and the implementation of social skills.
- Wednesdays – Movement and Action Day: the emphasis is on physical and sensory activities.
- Thursdays – Nutrition and Fitness/Transition: every second Thursday is Nutrition, in which the focus is on learning about, making and sampling healthy snacks as well as learning about healthy lifestyle choices. On the alternate Thursdays, the teens who are currently in grade 11 and 12 take part in the Transition group, focusing on what life could look like after high school and participating in various life skill activities. The rest of the group takes part in fitness activities, again part of learning about healthy lifestyle choices.
- Fridays – Social Club and Evening Group: Fridays are all about hanging out and being a teen. The focus is on friends and fun and having the opportunity to engage in age-appropriate community and social activities.
- Teens – 15-18 years
- Tweens – 11-14 years
- Juniors – 6-10 years
- Evening Group – 13-18 years
Where and When
All Programs begin and end at Somenoes School, 3039 Sprott Road. Drop off is between 2:00 and 2:30 pm and pick up is between 4:45 and 5:00 pm. Evening Group runs from 5:00 to 7:00 pm.
WHO: People aged 6-18 years (6-10 years,11-14 years &,15-18 years – age categories)
WHEN: 9 weeks over the school summer break, each age group having 3 weeks of programming on a rotational basis.
WHAT: This is a recreational summer camp. Registration information is sent out through MCFD and registrations are returned to the CFSP at the Clements Centre.
Spring Break Program
WHO: People aged 6-18 years (6-12 years and 13-18 years age categories)
WHEN: 2 week Spring Break (one week for each of the above 2 age groups)
WHAT: These programs are recreational, week-long camps. Registration information is sent out through MCFD.
Contact children and family support at email@example.com, or Emily at (250) 746-4135 extension 229, for more information.